Sunday, December 7, 2008

Double Chocolate Pecan Biscotti


Hi all! I'm back from my blogging hiatus. Things have been busy, and well... I have been lazy. I find that blogging is a challenge because of two things: 1. Taking photos while I'm cooking is a pain in the ass. 2. My photos suck. Anyone have any tips for me?

I actually had some leisure time today; it's been a lazy Sunday afternoon, but very productive. I woke up and ran a 5K race this morning. Then Cookie Monster and I came home and decorated our Christmas tree. He had to go to work, so I wrapped Christmas presents and wrote Christmas cards. After two episodes of Sex & The City, I got bored, and when I'm bored, I usually cook. So, I decided to make biscotti.

The batter was pretty easy; just a bunch of mixing and measuring, as usual. It was also really tasty. :) In hindsight, I should've just eaten the batter.

Here is the recipe!

From my Better Homes & Gardens 75th Anniversary Edition cookbook

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat. That's all we have in the house. I don't buy AP flour anymore)
3/4 cup white baking pieces (I used pecans instead of these)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Lightly grease a cookie sheet. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an e
lectric mixer on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. ( I just used the mixer for all of it.) Stir in white baking pieces pecans and chocolate chips.


This is what the dough looks like before it's baked.



Shape dough into two 9-inch-long rolls. Place rolls on prepared cookie sheet; flatten slightly until about 2 inches wide.

Like this!

Here's a photo of the dough, along with my workstation. This is pretty typical of how it looks. Ingredients, cookbook (when I'm baking only), glass of vino, bottle of olive oil (that's actually olive oil in that Chianti bottle. I saved the bottle and use it for OI. It goes with my Italian-themed kitchen).
This is just how I roll.


Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 hour. (If desired, wrap cooled rolls in plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.)


Here's what the dough logs looks like after baking:




Use a serrated knife to cut each roll diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place
slices cut side down on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for 7-9 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.


Also, don't forget about them in the oven and burn them, like I did. See? I burned the fucking biscotti.
This is why I don't bake!
Please, send the kiddies outta the room. Here comes the potty mouth.
Fuck! Shit! Hell! Balls! Ohio!



But, I will not concede defeat. I ate them anyway. Carbon or not. That'll show 'em. They taste a little like campfire. But also pecan-chocolate biscotti.


Sigh.



1 comment:

cjkuehl said...

I and every resident of Michigan love that you choose to curse "Ohio!"