Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Crockpot Turkey Chili & Cornbread

I was a very good girl in 2008, so Santa Claus brought me a new Crockpot! I always ignored or skipped over any recipe using a slow-cooker, but now I don't have to! I have discovered yet another oyster in the world of cooking!

The crockpot's trial at Chez Stadium was to make chili. I started off by sauteeing zucchini, onions, carrots, bell peppers and a shit-ton of garlic, because we love garlic in our chili. And yes, a "shit-ton" is a precise measurement. Then I added the leftover tomato sauce from making jambalaya, a can of whole tomatoes with their juice and beans. Lots of beans. Perhaps I should've called this Chili in C, because it sure was musical! It had black, pinto and kidney beans, plus some leftover turkey from the holidays. Also, I used a little creamed corn that I didn't use in the cornbread. Then I just added spices (lots of chili powder, paprika, cumin and red pepper flakes) and cooked on low overnight.


See my new toy? Isn't it beautiful?



When the chili was done, I garnished it with cilantro, some shredded cheese and some Greek yogurt since I didn't have any sour cream. I have tried subbing yogurt for sour cream (in instances where it was a garnish, not mixed in) before, and it did not work. But this was really good. It was the cool creaminess I wanted. Yay!

I also got a very large, very heavy cast-iron skillet for Christmas from my mom. So what better to go with chili than cast-iron cornbread? I got this recipe online for corn bread bites, but just made it into a loaf of bread. I have no freakin' idea what website this came from, but I think it was adapted from Cooking Light.

I mixed all the wet ingredients together, substituting the sour cream it called for with plain, nonfat Greek yogurt.


Then I added all the dry and it looked like this. Appetizing, I know, but it's about to go in the oven for its makeover.


I realized what a large pan I had when A) I couldn't pick it up with one hand, and B) The entire recipe of cornbread did not even reach the edges of the pan. What we have here is a cornbread island in a sea of skillet. Looks funny, but tasted great!


Corn Bread
From Cooking Light, I think. I got it from the glorious quagmire that is the Internets.

2/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat, since that's all I buy)
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream (I used plain, nonfat Greek yogurt)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (didn't have any, didn't put them in)
1 can cream-style corn
Dash of hot sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Combine flour and next four ingredients in a large bowl. Combine cheese and remaining ingredients and add to flour mixture. Stir until moistened. Bake at 375 until golden brown.
Ta da! Pat yourself on the back for making cornbread that's actually pretty decent for you. Do not consume entire loaf yourself, lest it won't be good for you anymore.



No comments: