Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

I made a lovely, delectable feast for Cinco de Mayo. 'Cuz, you know, we white people take any excuse to celebrate a holiday involving foreign cuisine and traditions. Ole!
It included taco salads: sauteed vegetables and pinto beans over romaine lettuce, topped with salsa, avocado and sour cream for me. With a tortilla on the side, it was really delicious. Unfortunately, I have two pictures of the cuisine prepared that night. The first may explain to you why this occurred:

After *cough, cough, ahem* three of these, the only picture I remembered to take was the flan after coming out of the oven--here it is cooling before I inverted it.
This was my first venture at making homemade flan, and I gotta say, it turned out awesome. The recipe was really simple; it was mostly inactive time.

This flan kicked burro. I certainly did not eat almost half of this container. Nope. That is not something I would do after three margaritas.
*burp*

Here is the recipe, in case anyone's still reading. I don't even think my mom reads anymore. But just in case, Hi Mom!

Caramel Flan
Recipe courtesy of Eagle Brand
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups water
1 14 oz. can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (mine actually came from Mexico!)
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350
°. In heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook sugar, stirring constantly until melted and caramel colored. Pour into 9-inch round dish or baking pan, tilting to coat bottom thoroughly (you want to do this quickly, as the sugar starts to harden right away).
In a medium bowl, beat eggs; stir in water, condensed milk, vanilla and salt. Pour over caramelized sugar. Set dish in larger cooking vessel and fill larger pan with 1 inch of water. (This is what's known as a water bath. I know you're thrilled by this knowledge. We here
at ChezVCK are here to inform.)
Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will still jiggle). (I found this took more like 70 minutes.) Move smaller dish to wire rack, cool for one hour. (You better believe I stuck this in the freezer to cool so I could eat it sooner.)
To unmold, run a knife around edge and invert onto serving platter. Proclaim Ole!







1 comment:

arielsong88 said...

I'm so glad to see that someone has actually attempted to make flan at home! I have discovered that I love eating it, but I haven't been brave enough to make it. You may just give me that push I need...!