Thursday, May 27, 2010

Apple Oat Bran Cranberry Pancakes

Here are some delicious pancakes I made in order to use up some apples that were turning bad. They got involved with some other bad apples at school and were headed down a bad path, straight toward the Appletinis. But I reformed those apples and made them into something wholesome: these healthy and tasty pancakes.

Ye Olde Internets yielded this recipe, so naturally I have no idea from whence it came. Hmm... does applesgonegood.com exist? Nope! But maybe it should.

3/4 cup oat bran
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup apple, chopped finely

I combined all these ingredients per instructions, but found the batter was a bit thin. So I just added in some oatmeal until it reached a more pancake-like consistency.

I served them on my adorable new springy placemats, courtesy of the Easter Bunny. 


Actually, it was my mom, who, from 3000 miles away, devised an apartment-wide Easter Egg Hunt for Cookie Monster and me. At the end was a See's egg (a definite throwback to when I was a kid), some Peeps (which are just now the crunchy consistency I prefer. Not kidding.) and these placemats with matching hand towels. Thanks, Easter Mommy!

You can just see how healthy these pancakes look. They're hearty and chewy, and the apples give them a little unexpected crunchy surprise here and there. The cranberries add some sweetness. Overall, they're really good.

No comments: