Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bread FAIL. Pizza WIN.

When Snowpocalypse 2010 and Snowpocalypse 2010 II: The Sequel hit, I got bored sitting around inside. Usually when this boredom hits, I head to the kitchen to cook or bake something. I have, in the past, tried to make some bread, so I decided to try it again. 

Wow. Major FAIL on the bread baking. I had to warm up the water to dissolve the sugar, and I knew the water was too hot. But, being the impatient idiot I am, I dumped in the hot water anyway, hoping for the best. Yeah. Not so much. I straight-up killed my yeast. Oh, and I over-kneaded it, too. I covered my ball o' dough with a towel and kept checking it. It rose not at all. Zilch. Nada.

So, with my proverbial lemons, I made pizza crusts. Instead of bread, we had pizza. Not too bad a trade, right?

Here's the lovely gourmet pizza we made with the bread fail:

I started with a layer of olive oil brushed over the dough, then added some fresh spinach that I had chopped finely in the food processor with a bit more oil. Then we added:
*Caramelized onions
*Bleu cheese
*Prosciutto
*Goat cheese
*Chopped dates

Baked until golden brown and delicious, it was awesome! Cookie Monster and I have pretty high pizza standards now, since we make all kinds of kick-ass pizzas at home. Sometimes restaurant pizza is hard to compete with what we make. And when we make it, it's always super healthier than take-out.

Om nom nom!

1 comment:

Dr. Powell said...

reminds me of the pizza we made when you guys came over that one time... makes me hungry!