Monday, March 24, 2008

Chicken Stock

After making my roast chicken, I had a whole chicken carcass left over. What to do? I pretended I was the Grim Chicken Reaper, but that got old pretty quick. So, instead I made some chicken stock, of course! It was really easy. I threw in the leftover lemons, onions and garlic that I stuffed the chicken with, along with some carrots, peppercorns, dried oregano, basil and thyme, a lot of salt and of course, the chicken bones. I put it all in a large pot and filled the pot with water.


Then I just simmered and simmered away! I think I let it simmer for about 3 hours or so. After that long, the volume had gone way down and what was left was a concentrated, delicious, herb-y, salty chicken stock. I was actually a little disappointed with the volume, so I strained it all, put it in a container in the fridge and did it again! The second batch wasn't nearly as concentrated as the first, but once mixed together, there was plenty of yummy homemade chicken stock. Good stuff!


Chicken Stock

Carcass of 1 chicken
Baby carrots
Leftover stuffing materials used in roast chicken
Peppercorns
Dried herbs
Lots of salt

Throw all in a pot, then cover with water. Simmer for a long time, about 3 hours. Ta da!

No comments: