Sunday, March 9, 2008

Roasted Vegetable Quinoa


I love vegetables. This is very convenient, as I do
not love most meat. There are very few veggies I don't like: fennel is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. So, when Cookie Monster was gone a few evenings ago, I planned to make a whole lotta things he doesn't like, simply because I could. I had a butternut squash that had been sitting forlornly atop the microwave. Its call of "Eat me! Eat me!" I finally answered. It probably didn't appreciate the carnage that resulted:I peeled, seeded and chopped said butternut squash, then roasted it in a 400 degree oven alongside green beans, carrots and onions. I also peeled a few garlic cloves and tossed them in there too. Mmm...roasted garlic! I tossed all of these in olive oil and S&P and roasted 'til tender.

I don't know what the big fuss is all about when it comes to cooking squash. I find it relatively simple. This is the first time I have peeled the squash before roasting it, and it wasn't difficult at all. I used my crap-tastic vegetable peeler and it was easy. So: people. Don't let the squash be victorious. You take that squash and show it who's boss! Like I did. Ha! Suck it, squash! I'm gonna eat you, and there's nothing you can do about it!



To go with all those tasty roasted vegetables, I cooked up some quinoa. This is an ancient super-grain that's supposed to be really good for you. Since it was just
moi, I only used 1/4 cup; it cooks up to be more than that. When it was done, I tossed in all the roasted vegetables, as well as a few cherry tomatoes and some bleu cheese. It was really, really tasty. And I didn't have to share with anyone!

For my protein, I cooked up a Trader Joe's sun-dried tomato and basil Tofurkey sausage. These things are awesome. I sometimes prepare them with tomato sauce and cheese, but today I just paired mine with some bar-be-que sauce.


Chez VCK's Roasted Vegetable Quinoa

Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped (this is not hard. Really. Don't be intimidated by the squash!)
Onions, peeled and cut into small-ish pieces
Green beans
Baby carrots
Cloves of garlic, peeled
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Bleu cheese

1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly (you want to do this so it doesn't taste like soap. Trust me on this).
1/2 cup water or stock

Toss all vegetables in olive oil and S&P. Roast in 400 degree oven 'til a fork goes in easily. Meanwhile, bring quinoa and water/stock to a boil, then reduce heat and cover 'til quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes or so. Stir quinoa to fluff, then toss in roasted vegetables. Add tomatoes and cheese, and stir 'til cheese melts a little. Inhale this delicious, nutritious dinner while watching smutty TV shows your husband would mock you mercilessly for watching.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hi! I was just searching for a roasted vegetable and quinoa recipe and got a hold of this one! The pictures look delicious.

FYI: Quinoa is an amazing grain indeed that also happens to contain its fair share of protein (8g to a cup).