Saturday, March 8, 2008

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

About a week ago, I decided to try my hand at a homemade chicken pot pie. I had one pie crust left in the freezer, so decided to make that the top of the pie. Oh. My. God. The pie was fabulous! One of the best dinners I have ever made! Woo hoo!



I made them in individual dishes for easy serving. Since I had a small amount of pie crust left over, I made a small artichoke and gorgonzola empanada. It was...eh. I though the gorgonzola got lost in the buttery-ness of the crust, but Cookie Monster really liked it.


The inside of the empanada:



I cook using the Rachael Ray method--I never measure anything, throw things in I think might taste good together and rarely use a recipe. I find this is the best way for me to experiment with different flavors, and it works because I am usually not patient enough to follow a recipe.

Here is the VCK recipe for homemade chicken pot pies:
Olive oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
5-6 baby carrots
1/4 onion
Oregano
Parsley
Paprika
Cumin
Red pepper flakes
S&P
4 T flour
2 glugs Washington white wine (yes, a glug is indeed a real measurement)
2 glugs regular soy milk
Vegetable stock 'til covered
Frozen corn
Frozen peas

Pie crust, defrosted
Egg wash
Heat olive oil in a medium pot. Cook chicken until cooked through--mine took about 5-6 minutes. Add carrot, and onion and saute until soft. Add spices, then flour, stirring until incorporated. Add white wine to de-glaze the pan and cook about a minute. Go find wine glass and pour yourself some. Resume cooking pot pies. Add milk and vegetable stock and cook over medium heat until just boiling. It will thicken up as it cooks. At the last minute, add peas and corn so they are just heated through.

Spoon mixture into individual oven-safe serving dishes. Brush sides of dishes with egg wash, then put pie crust over and mush down to seal (yes, "mush" is a technical culinary term Ask any chef!). Brush the top of the crust with more egg wash, then sprinkle on a little salt. Cook pot pies 'til crust is golden brown. I think I had my oven at 400, but I can't remember (see? This is how I cook).



And this is what you end up with. Glorious, glorious pot pies. Good lord they were amazing!

Come hither, my sweet, sweet pie.

No comments: