Wednesday, February 10, 2010

SuperBowl XLIV

Neither Cookie Monster nor I cared about the football game, but we felt it was our patriotic duty to watch the SuperBowl. Naturally, I had to make football food. So I bought a loin of pork at Trader Joe's and pulled out my trusty Crockpot. Into the pot it went, along with mustard, worchestershire sauce, barbeque sauce, ketchup, molasses, hot sauce and water. 10 hours later, it was a glorious mess of pulled pork. Mmm... see the greasy, porky goodness?


 I took the pork out and shredded it with a fork.

 
Then I reduced the sauce by about half, thus making a homemade barbeque sauce to complement the pig.

For Cookie Monster, I piled two Arnold Sandwich Thins (the closest thing we had to a bun) high with the pulled pork and homemade sauce.


For myself, I made a fun tasting plate centered around my vegetarian buffalo wings. Yes, I realize this is an oxymoron, but I don't care. They were good. I baked them in the toaster oven until crispy, then doused them with hot sauce. To go alongside, I made a bleu cheese dip out of plain Greek yogurt, parsley, crumbled bleu cheese, hot sauce, S&P and a little milk to thin it to a more dressing-like consistency. 

The "wings" were quite tasty. They didn't taste anything like chicken, which is fine with me. They tasted almost like a mozzarella cheese stick and they definitely had the same type of consistency.

Also on my tasting plate were celery sticks to complement the buffalo wing theme, slices of sharp white cheddar cheese, a few pita crackers, three candied pecans and some apple slices. I also had a bit of Cookie Monster's pork, and it was actually pretty tasty.


Go football!

No comments: