Friday, April 25, 2008

Egg and Proscuitto sandwich

I live close enough to work that I can come home on my lunch breaks when I have hour-long lunches. Here is something I whipped up for a simple, quick yet utterly scrumptious lunch. I tried to get some protein in since I don't always get enough, and these are the ingredients we had on-hand.


I lightly toasted some artisan bread from Trader Joe's and spread mashed avocado on each side. Then I put a layer of baby spinach leaves over that. Meanwhile, I was sauteeing a few mushrooms in a pan, and then I crisped up a slice of proscuitto. Normally I don't really do the cured meats thing because the texture of the chewy fat grinding against my teeth makes me want to retch. Blech! But when you put the proscuitto in a hot pan for about 2 minutes, it shrivels up (which is really cool to watch! Ok, ok, I know. I am not normal. Oh well) and gets crunchy, thereby removing the nasty-fat-teeth-grinding-retching equation and instead contributing a lovely, crispy light meat flavor to my sandwich. To go on top, I cooked up an egg to over-medium, since I love cutting into the egg and having the yolk run all over everything. I like to sop it up with the bread.

This lunch was
awesome!

Hmm, I use that adjective a lot. Perhaps I should branch out. Here are some options:
magical, stupendous, marvelous, incomprehensible, inconceivable, incredible, unbelievable, unimaginable, unthinkable; extraordinary, phenomenal, rare, sensational, spectacular; singular, uncommon, unique, unusual, unwonted; conspicuous, notable, noticeable, outstanding, remarkable; impressive, striking; animating, energizing, enlightening, enlivening, exciting, galvanizing, invigorating, stimulating; alluring, attracting, attractive, beguiling, bewitching, captivating, charming, enchanting, entertaining, enthralling, fascinating, interesting

I think I'm set for a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should all go to breakfast at this place, which is conveniently located half a mile from our house: http://www.littleredbikecafe.com/menu.html

Mmmm, runny egg yolks on ciabatta bread . . .

VCK said...

I have been wanting to go there for a while. Let's do it!

Anonymous said...

Hi VCK,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.
Love the chez Stadium joke!

Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com