Friday, April 25, 2008

Homemade Barbeque Sauce

I had been thinking about doing this for quite a while, and finally got around last week. Instead of buying high-fructose corn syrup-laden sauce from the store (ok, so you can check the label and find some without it, too), I decided to make my own. I stole Pioneer Woman's idea of arranging all the ingredients on the counter so I remember everything I put in. Except then I put in some more stuff after I took this picture, thereby pretty much defeating the whole purpose. Sigh.

Oh, well. Here's most of the stuff I put in my bbq sauce. I first started by sauteeing some finely chopped onion in some EVOO. Then I added all this stuff:

Then I basically just cooked the crap out of it. Ok, not really. I let it cook on very low heat for a long time--about an hour. Once it had reduced, I tasted it and discovered it needed more stuff. I put in a lot more molasses since I got a little enthusiastic about the vinegar and put too much in initially. I also added some chili powder and a bit of cayenne. And salt.



I kept tasting and adding 'til it tasted right. And voila! Homemade bbq sauce! Using some of my leftover chicken from the freezer, I made a killer bbq chicken pizza, which I will share with you in my next post. I know you can't wait.

Until then, I'll leave you with a joke:
What did one earthquake say to the other earthquake?
"It's not my fault!"

No comments: